Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Multigrain English Muffins - 3rd time's the charm!

I am always looking for recipes that involve more than just all-purpose flour.  When I came across this recipe, I thought I would give it a go.  The whole time I was making them I kept thinking the dough was awfully dry, and they didn't seem to rise much at all.  They turned out a bit flat and hard, but the kids still gobbled them up.  A few months later I made them again.  I kind of forgot the issues I had experienced with the first batch, so I repeated my mistakes.  This time I got smart and made them again almost immediately.  I used a tad more water, made sure it was actually up to temperature, and was more patient with the rising times.  The dough was much smoother and less crumbly.  They turned out fluffy, soft, and delicious!

Originally from Martha Stewart magazine, modified slightly
1/2 cup (generous) warm water (115 degrees)
1 tablespoon honey
2 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 teaspoon unsalted butter
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1 tablespoon coarse salt
2 teaspoons whole flax seed
1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk or whole milk
vegetable oil cooking spray
cornmeal

Combine warm water, honey, yeast, and butter in a bowl.  Let stand for 5 minutes, or until very foamy.

Combine flours, oats, wheat germ, salt, and flaxseed in a large bowl.  Add yeast mixture and milk, and mix with hands until flours are almost fully incorporated.  Turn out mixture onto a clean surface, and knead until smooth, about 3 minutes.

Lightly coat a large mixing bowl with cooking spray, and place dough in bowl.  Cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until doubled in size, about 1 hour.

Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead slightly, and roll to 1/4-1/2 inch thickness.  Using a 3-inch round cutter, cut out rounds.  Roll and cut scraps once.  You should end up with 12-15.  Dust a rimmed baking sheet with cornmeal.  Place rounds on baking sheet, cover with plastic, and let rise in a warm, draft-free spot until puffy, about 20 minutes.

Heat a large griddle or skillet over low heat.  Working in batches, place rounds 1 1/2 inches apart.  Cook until golden brown and dry, about 5-7 minutes per side.  Let cool for 30 minutes; split with a fork.  Toast right before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment