Saturday, February 12, 2011

Basic Sandwich Bread

If you read the recipe for this yummy bread, and you know me personally, then you will immediately know why it caught my eye.  The recipe actually says "1 egg, preferably from a pastured chicken for the rich color and nutrition the yolk provides, beaten".  Well folks, I have pastured chickens from whom I collect eggs daily.  This recipe was right down my ally!

I modified the recipe to include whole wheat, not just white flour.  It makes the bread at least sound healthy.  I also put it together in my stand mixer.  The original recipe called for mixing the dough by hand.  The result was a yummy bread that provided us toast and sandwiches for 3 days, tasting good to the last crumb.  I think I need to be more patient and let it rise in the pan a little longer next time, but otherwise I am counting this loaf as a big success.

Mother Earth News - December 2010/January 2011, modified slightly
3 cups unbleached white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1 tablespoon softened butter
1 egg, preferably from a pastured chicken for the rich color and nutrition the yolk provides, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 teaspoon dried yeast
1 1/4 cups milk at room temperature
1 loaf pan, lightly sprayed
1 egg, beaten and thinned with water, for brushing

Put the flour in a stand mixer bowl along with the softened butter.  Turn mixer on low for a few minutes until no large piece remain.  Next, add the beaten egg, salt, and yeast.  With the mixer on low, stir in enough warm milk to form a dough.  At this point, the dough should be raggedy and rough.

Cover bowl with plastic and let rise in a warm place.  After it has doubled in bulk (about 1 1/2 hours), turn onto a lightly floured board.  Gently press out the gas and form dough into a rectangle to fit into a sprayed loaf pan.  Cover, set in as warm place as you have, and let rise until nearly doubled.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  When the bread is ready, brush the top with a beaten egg thinned with a little water.  Bake until crust is golden, about an hour.  Remove from oven, turn out of pan, and let cool on its side for at least 3 hours before cutting.

No comments:

Post a Comment